Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TechQuest Evaluation

Findings:
Formative: Did the project get implemented?
The project did get implemented as planned for 2 weeks. Then I had to give up the computer lab to a science teacher for the rest of the year. I made a complicated schedule to still get all my students on the program using just my 2 classroom computers, but then we had IOWA standardized testing, which changed everyone’s schedule for 2 weeks. After that, we will be having changes in schedules because of field trips and end of the year activities, so many of my students will not get to use the program as often as I would like them to.

Summative: Was this program successful?
All of my students have shown upwards growth in just 2 weeks, meaning they are completing lessons and moving on to more difficult lessons. I am impressed that some of them have completed over 50 lessons in just 2 weeks! They are also showing increased awareness of phonics in their daily work ("oh, that's a silent e word, you can't hear the e," "that has a blend like 'ship'." etc). I will use the BRI and the SORT to assess student progress near the end of May to see how much growth they have made. I will compare their rate of growth before and after using the program to see how much of a difference it really made.


Implications: What would I do next time?
Clearly, I will also start the program when school starts, not 10 weeks from the end of the school year. Unfortunately, March was the first time I could get enough grant money to order the licenses for the program. I would like to have a set time in the computer lab when I can take all participating students and have them work for 30 minutes. I would also like to have enough licenses so that all struggling readers and English Language Learners in our school could participate. I could easily use all 28 computers in the lab for students to participate, and it would still only take 30 minutes of my time and of precious computer lab time.

I would also like to create a set level system of rewards before students start the program, in order to help them see that they can earn rewards for completing hundreds of lessons. For example, this year I am giving students a can of pop (diet, caffeine free!) after they complete 100 lessons, and a pizza lunch when they complete 200 lessons! This is motivating students to complete lessons at home so they can get the significant rewards, in addition to the colored tokens they earn on the computer for successfully completing each lesson.

What should other people know before implementing a similar project?
It will definitely be useful to give the specific Explode the Code assessment before placing students on their beginning levels.

Because some students do not excel at this type of program, it cannot be the only phonics teaching happening in the classroom. One student was stuck on a very low level for quite a long time. Clearly, this program is not the end-all, be-all to phonics instruction, but it can be a useful part of it!

What would I do differently with a similar project?
Start at beginning of school year.
Reserve computer lab time as soon as possible.
Get more licenses to serve more students
Meet with parents at beginning of year to show them the program. This will increase use at home.
Give Explode the Code assessment prior to assigning starting levels.
Reward level system.

3 comments:

  1. It was disheartening to learn that you had to put a halt to your project, just when it was going so well. However, district assessment windows are finite - teachers and students only have a couple of days to test their classes. We are about to enter the spring assessment bubble in my district - and will face similar lab scheduling difficulties. From your post, it sounds like your students are engaged and learning how to effectively decode word containing blends and silent letters. Hopefully, they can continue with the lessons in your classroom and at home. For funding, I was wondering if your school has a parent-teacher club/association that can be approached for funding. We have one at RKE, they recently purchased 4 flip cams for the building. Just a thought ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just hate it when district tests interupt the learning flow in the classroom? I'm glad your project went well! hopefully you can get some of them on the program more at school. At least your students were going on at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad that you got to work in the lab for a little bit of time! I remember that was always the problem I came across. We always had to sign up way in advance for use of the lab and it always seemed when I wanted to use it, it was already booked. I don't know if your school has this option but our library had a bunch of computers too which could be used by the students during class time! I'm sure the kids will like the "actual rewards" you will be giving them. I'm sure it will keep them motivated too!

    ReplyDelete